Assessing and Getting Help for Anxiety
Instructions: The following is a list of symptoms that people sometimes have. Put a check next to which item best describes how much that symptom or problem has bothered you during the past week.
0 = Not At All
1 = Somewhat
2 = Moderately
3 = A Lot
Category 1: Anxious Feelings:
1) Anxiety, nervousness, worry, or fear.
2) Feeling that things around you are strange, unreal or foggy.
3) Feeling detached from all or part of your body.
4) Sudden unexpected panic spells.
5) Apprehension or a sense of impending doom.
6) Feeling tense, stressed, "uptight", or on edge.
Category 2: Anxious Thoughts:
7) Difficulty concentrating.
8) Racing thoughts or having your mind jump from one thing to the next.
9) Frightening fantasies or daydreams.
10) Feeling that you're on the verge of losing control.
11) Fears of cracking up or going crazy.
12) Fears of fainting or passing out.
13) Fears of physical illnesses or heart attacks or dying.
14) Concerns about looking foolish or inadequate in front of others.
15) Fears of being alone, isolated, or abandoned.
16) Fears of criticism or disapproval.
17) Fears that something terrible is about to happen.
Category 3: Physical Symptoms:
18) Skipping or racing or pounding of the heart (sometimes called "palpitations")
19) Pain, pressure, or tightness in the chest.
20) Tingling or numbness in the toes or fingers.
21) Butterflies or discomfort in the stomach.
22) Constipation or diarrhea.
23) Restlessness or jumpiness.
24) Tight, tense muscles.
25) Sweating not brought on by heat.
26) A lump in the throat.
27) Trembling or shaking.
28) Rubbery or "jelly" legs.
29) Feeling dizzy, light-headed, or off balance.
30) Choking or smothering sensations or difficulty breathing.
31) Headaches or pains in the neck or back.
32) Hot flashes or cold chills.
33) Feeling tired, weak, or easily exhausted.
Add up your total score for the 33 symptoms. Check your score against the Scoring Key for the Burns Anxiety Inventory below.
Scoring Key for the Burns Anxiety Inventory
Minimal or No Anxiety = 0 - 4
Borderline Anxiety = 5 - 10
Mild Anxiety = 11 - 20
Moderate Anxiety = 21 - 30
Severe Anxiety = 31 - 50
Extreme Anxiety or Panic = 51 - 99
If your anxiety is above Mild Anxiety, you should take action to protect yourself.