Are You Troubled By Someone Else’s Drinking?
The following questionnaire was designed by Al-Anon to help you decide whether Al-Anon is right for you. As you take this quiz, keep in mind that you may have been affected by a parent’s drinking when you were a child. Although Al-Anon does not provide guidelines on how to evaluate your answers to this quiz, we suggest you attend Al-Anon if you answer “yes” to two or more questions.
- Do you worry about how much someone drinks?
- Do you have money problems because of someone else’s drinking?
- Do you tell lies to cover up for some else’s drinking?
- Do you feel if the drinker loved you, he or she would stop drinking to please you?
- Do you blame the drinker’s behavior on his or her companions?
- Are plans frequently upset or canceled or meals delayed because of the drinker?
- Do you make threats, such as, “If you don’t stop drinking, I’ll leave you”?
- Do you secretly try to smell the drinker’s breath?
- Are you afraid to upset someone for fear it will set off a drinking bout?
- Have you been hurt of embarrassed by a drinker’s behavior?
- Are holidays and gatherings spoiled because of drinking?
- Have you considered calling the police for help, for fear of abuse?
- Do you search for hidden alcohol?
- Do you often ride in a car with a driver who has been drinking?
- Have you refused social invitations out of fear or anxiety?
- Do you sometimes feel like a failure when you think of the lengths you have gone to protect the drinker?
- Do you think that if the drinker stopped drinking, your other problems would be solved?
- Do you ever threaten to hurt yourself to scare the drinker?
- Do you feel angry, confused, or depressed most of the time?
- Do you feel there is no one who understands your problems?
From “Are You Troubled by Someone’s Drinking?” © 1980, by Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.
Reprinted by permission of Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.